Sunday, March 15, 2009

Maslow's Theory, LIFE, LIBERTY, PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS




For anyone who has had a management class you are familiar with Abraham Maslow, a Psychologist who came up with the following pyramid to depict basic human needs very simply. This is called Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. To put it in simpler terms, at the base are LIFE needs Food, shelter etc. , moving up there is security, LIFE again, then relationships or HAPPINESS, mental well being, HAPPINESS again and finally freedom of expression and morality or LIBERTY. Maslow's theory I believe is in the Declaration of Independence, " We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. It is striking to me that Maslow put sex in there twice. I will take all I can get.

The Constitution is also relevant to his theory. He mentions security of the body, the family and property, 2nd Amendment anyone? How about morality, Freedom of Religion, 1st Amendment.

Just my take on this theory and how it relates to Survival needs in general.

My opinion and I am sticking to it. Yes I know the theory about opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment