Saturday, February 28, 2009

Survival supplies on the cheap

When looking for survival items other than firearms and ammo try looking at thrift stores, junk shops, flea markets and garage sales / yard sales. Remember I am in a cold weather climate so your availability will differ from mine. I find many useful items at these places. All of my extreme cold weather mummy bags (4) have come from these sources. Along with several intermediate weather bags. I have purchased propane stoves, canteens, lanterns, compound bows, Chemical suits new in the bag (5), gortex camo jackets (3)and pants (2), Camo uniforms of all types are plentiful, Night desert camo sets(3), Parkas (many), extreme cold weather pants (many), Snowmobile suits are plentiful, The gauntlet type military issue gloves Many pair, Mukluks, bunny boots, combat boots, flak vests, even a threat level 2 vest. You can get tents, backpacks, cots, coolers, gas cans, pots, pans, almost anything you would need for survival at these places.

I must admit that I go to these types of stores everyday and the chances of my finding some of these items is greater the more I shop at them. Just because when you shop at these places you do not find the same amounts as I do, do not give up. It is worth your time to continue to think of these places as a source for cheap survival gear. Of course if you are not near a military installation you will not have the same types of items I have listed but you will still have generic camping gear available to you no matter where you live.

Now I have purchased firearms at yard sales before but seldom do they sell them at these sales. Most of the time when they do sell firearms they want too much $ or the weapons are not what I would want for my inventory. Shotgun ammo is easy to find in most places and the chances of a sale having your type of shot shells is better than you finding some .44 mag or .500 S&W.

I have even had luck at the local antique stores. I picked up a kevlar helmet and several pairs of gauntlet winter gloves at a favorite store of mine.

So the best advice I can give is to shop often and early at the stores and the yard sales. You never know what you will find and how much you might save in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment